Whenever I think of Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers, I have a craving to make these for dinner. Melted gooey cheese mixed with tasty veggies and rice, baked inside a fragrant green pepper are what you need to make this delicious dish.
I like this vegetarian recipe because over the years I have found that a really good stuffed pepper just doesn't need meat. I like to use a variety of ingredients in my pepper stuffing and if I have any leftover after filling the peppers, it makes a wonderful side dish for another meal.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers (Serves 4)
- 4 large green peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 small can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Additional cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Wash peppers, slice off tops and remove seeds.
- Place peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let drain.
- Place peppers in a greased baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine rice, cheese, beans, taco sauce, chiles and onion.
- Stuff peppers evenly and top with additional cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.