A Springtime Favorite
Fresh soup with fresh ingredients is just the type of dish that shouts springtime! Creamy Fresh Pea Soup with Bacon is a delicious starter for an Easter brunch or dinner and can be kept warm in a slow cooker. In my opinion, this soup is good anytime and also makes an excellent choice for a weeknight dinner. Serve with croutons and a salad on the side.
Vegetarian version: It's so very easy to change this soup into a vegetarian dish. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken and delete bacon and top with chopped chives or sour cream.
Ingredients for Creamy Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 tbls. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups fresh green peas, shelled or frozen peas
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- In a 3 qt. saucepan, melt butter.
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is soft.
- Add chicken stock and peas, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until peas are tender.
- Let mixture cool slightly.
- Puree soup in small batches in a food processor or blender.
- Return to saucepan, add salt and pepper to taste and half and half.
- Serve in bowls and top with bacon.
Cuisinart SBC-1000 Blend-and-Cook Soup Maker, BlackOster 6844 6-Cup Glass Jar 12-Speed Blender, Metallic RedHamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function BlenderNinja Professional Blender (BL660)Breville BBL605XL Hemisphere Control BlenderSoup-A-Chef Electric Soup Maker